Known as the Pearl of Transylvania, Băile Tușnad is one of the most beautiful resorts in Romania, with a certified spa from the mid-19th century. Regarding the healing properties of these waters, there is a legend among the people who say that for a long time there was a field full of springs that splashed out loud on the surface, which the locals, because of the noisy sustenance, called it the “speaking field”.
According to legend, the curative qualities were discovered by a young shepherd who walked barefoot with his legs full of injuries. Passing repeatedly through the “speaking field,” it was not surprising when he discovered that his wounds had been healed as if by magic. The news of the miraculous waters of the speaking field quickly spread through the surrounding villages, and so the springs began to attract more and more visitors.
Also nicknamed “Little Switzerland”, the town receives this name not only due to its geographic location in a mountainous area but also due to the old Swiss-style buildings dating back to the 19th century. The main tourist attractions of this resort town are Ciucaş Lake, Apor Bastion, Soimilor Rock, St. Ana Lake, ski slope, Towers Rocks and, last but not least, mineral water springs used to treat various diseases.
Natural values and biodiversity nourish the soul while providing an aesthetic experience. Harghita county and the resort area are blessed with natural treasures and beauties. Enjoy the deep silence, the fresh air, the sounds and the great view!
- Apor Bastion – 1 km distance, approx. duration 30 minutes-1 hour, level difference 68 m, marked trail.
- Soimilor Rock – 1.5 km distance, approx. duration 1-2 hours, level difference 170 m, marked trail.
- Tower’s Rock – 2 km distance, duration about 1.5-2 hours, level difference 460 m.
- St. Ana Lake – 25 km driving distance, approx. 40-45 minutes. Volcanic lake, unique in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Tinovul Mohos – a natural habitat for rare plant species, located near St. Ana Lake.